Friday 30 December 2011

2012 and the gift of NOW


I'm walking along a clean foggy road in my neighbourhood and it's a beautiful day. The stretch of the road reminds me of an unseen future which lies ahead, trees and general road stuff surround me. The past is there too, but today I prefer to walk forward: to live in the present, and truly see all the good things in the world.

 The air is  chilly but pleasant. Fleecing clouds float high in the bright blue sky, and the sunlight glitters and shines off the houses and cars in the distance. People walk and ride bicycles in the park adjoining the road. They talk and point, and laugh together, as they enjoy the day off from work. What a beautiful and peaceful scene it is!

My heart is full of joy and positivity as I remember that it is New Year's Day. A day to start afresh and to I feel overwhelming gratitude for the gift of life that God has given me. I pass by a man and his wife, the wife holding tightly onto her husband's hand, dhe keepd giggling and whispering in his ear. His face is a study in pure joy and wonder, as he looks out over the miles of open road, green trees, and towering hunks of wet clouds of their brand new lives. It is the beginning of a beginning, and tears gather in my eyes with the power and sweetness of this simple thought.

A man sits on a rock and gazes into the distance. He looks sad and forlorn, as the breeze blows by and makes the leaves flutter on the tree next to him, in this lonely scene. I am reminded of other days in the past when sadness and hopelessness were my only companions. I say a silent prayer for him, and profound thanks, to God, for me. Then I walk on.

A bunch of kids crouch next to a bicycle, the tyres are flat but they are smiling and bickering as children do. As they look up, I grin and say "Happy New Year"! They grin and laugh, and wish me the same. It is a simple thing, but for a moment we have become one with the world and a sudden joyful exhilaration takes my breath away.

An old woman stands on the verandah of her home, gazing in the endless sky trying to relive her past, I guess. She doesn't seem either happy or sad, just gazes into the past, or maybe the future. I wonder what her ageing, but graceful eyes have witnessed, in the time that she has spent in this world. Where has she been? A lifetime of memories are held and hidden behind her eyes. Timeless peace flows within me and all fear of what the future may bring drains away. I thank her with my heart, and I walk ahead.

I stand outside home, the twinkling white light from my room reminds me of a warm place which will never let go off me. I walk and trees sway in the wind. An excited cackle of cheerful chirping and tweeting erupts , and I can't help but laugh out loud. As I reach home, go inside, and close the door, I say "Thank You" to God for the gift of life. It has taken a long time to find it, I know how to open the door again, when the time is right. I know that whatever the new year will bring, there will be joy, and enough treasures of "now" to help me through the hard times that we all must face.

Happy New Year....

No comments:

Post a Comment